Monday, January 21, 2013

Feeling Moody

Sometimes it's hard to wrap your head around everything you want to accomplish in a room. You have all these ideas floating around but you can't seem to bring them together. Well this is where olioboard.com steps in. This website has thousands of home decor items, furniture, accessories, and flooring all categorized by room that you just simply drag and drop to make a mood board. A mood board can be done room by room or as a whole house mood board meant to give you guidance as you build you space. What's nice with these mood boards (that you can make for free!) is that if you truly love that dresser you pulled for your bedroom mood board you can just click the link and purchase it!

So today I played around for a little bit and whipped up a mood board for our master bedroom and our living room. I tried to find items as close to some that we already have that I know I want to keep as well as some items that we hope to bring into the space. I found their search bar to be really helpful so I didn't have to scroll through ten pages of their bedroom category to find a particular item. 

Below is the mood board for our bedroom. I worked with what we already have such as the geometric headboard (ours is grey not white), the old map, the dark framed wall mirror, the diamond duvet, and the small black frames. I added some small accessories that are easy to bring in such as the antlers, the chevron blanket and the arm lamp. We are currently saving for an end of the bench storage system (haven't decided to build or buy yet) as well as a built in dresser/storage system. And the walnut wood flooring is a dream. We currently have carpet and it makes me sick. 





Here is the mood board for our living room. I brought in the wood flooring (thankfully we already have) to add some tone. The coffee table I found (which is from CB2) is almost identical to the coffee table that we actually have that was built by my dad for our wedding gift. The buffet is similar in tone to the one we own the holds our TV and consoles and the pouf and chair are also similar to items we already have. The blue lamp shade is actually the shade we have for the two lamps in our bedroom (which also have a teal base, both from Target). I hope to move these into the living room to pull the teals we have on the other ends of the room. We do already have a rug for this room (a blue and green ikat) but I do think it's too small. Especially since we hope to add a large sectional I think the rug needs to be as wide as the couch so you can slip it a little bit under and see it from both ends. With a rug the size we have it kind of dwarfs the space. But no worries I think the ikat rug would look great in the office, but I can't move it until we have a replacement because our little fur dog needs some traction to hop up on the couch. 



Overall I whipped up both boards in about and hour and it's really helped get me grounded on ideas I had for both spaces. I've made the mistake before of just grabbing things when I'm out and about that I like but that don't overall go together in a space. This helps me keep on track of the pieces that will help 'make' a room instead of overwhelming it.

No comments:

Post a Comment