Monday, April 21, 2014

Spicy Burrito Bowls

I posted this on Instagram and Facebook last week and now I've been instructed to share the Turkey Chorizo recipe that I used for this dish. 

First of all, the dish (that you can see step by step below) is an amazing meal. I used the recipe from Lauren at Eating Whole for inspiration - the Burrito Bowl. I tweaked my version slightly.

Spicy Burrito Bowl

2 cups cooked Quinoa 
2 cups Homemade Turkey Chorizo
1 Can Black Beans
2 Cups Cubed Sweet Potatoes 
2 Poached Eggs
Sour Cream to Taste
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese to Taste
Garlic
Italian Seasonings 
Chili Powder
Cumin
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Avocado


From my meal prep made last Monday, I scooped two scoops of cooked Quinoa into a saucepan. I set it to low and drizzled some EVOO, one clove of minced garlic, about 1 tsp of Italian Seasonings and salt and pepper to taste. I let this slowly heat up as I make everything else, stirring often.

I place my cubed sweet potatoes in the microwave for about 5 minutes to soften. Then, I place them in a skillet with some EVOO, about 2 tsp of chili powder, a clove of minced garlic, 1 tsp of cumin,  and salt and pepper to taste. I let those cook on medium for about 15 minutes making sure to move them around a lot.

I heat up my black beans in a small sauce pan, covered, on low for about 20 minutes.

To make my poached eggs I fill a medium sauce pan with about 2 inches of water and a splash of white vinegar and bring to a boil. Once boiling I crack my two eggs in the water, being careful not to break the yolk. I let them boil for 2-3 minutes only. Then scoop them out with a slotted spoon.

Once everything is ready I just pile everything on top of one another as you can see in the video. Delicious.

Now how to make the Turkey Chorizo. It's really easy.

Turkey Chorizo

Ground Turkey
Cumin
Chili Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Salt and Pepper
Minced Garlic

I went ahead a made up an entire pound of ground turkey, but vary your spices with how much you are making. I like to make a lot ahead of time so we can eat on it all week. 

Take your ground turkey and break it up and ball it into small pieces (like the size of a half dollar). Heat up a large skillet with some EVOO. Combine your spices in a small bowl. Roll your turkey ground balls in the spices and then place them into the hot skillet. 

Cook them on medium - high until done (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly. 

Now chorizo is spicy by nature (it's originally done with sausage), so expect that, but you can definitely vary it by using less spices. But combined with everything else in this bowl the spice isn't overwhelming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment