Monday, April 14, 2014

Spicy Kale Chips

Read that as spicy as in seasoned, not spicy like whoa, my mouth is on fire. I've been tempted to buy seasoned kale chips packaged at my grocery store, but the $6.99 price tag for a tiny bag has deterred me. Especially since Kale was only .99 a bunch this week and I have a buttload of seasonings in my pantry. So I decided to make my own with some inspiration. These are my new favorite thing. In all seriousness. Even B liked them. As in, he ate more than my required 3, he actually kept reaching for the bowl. 

And they're super easier and really can be seasoned with whatever you have on hand. The key is to massage them. Really. 

So get your kale ready by washing it and drying it really well. For three people I used 3 kale leaves and it was more than enough. 

Peal the kale from the rib in large chunks and lay out on a baking sheet. Mix your seasonings. 

Ingredients for Spicy Kale

2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
2-3 tablespoons of almond butter
1-2 teaspoons of cumin
1-2 teaspoons of garlic powder
1-2 teaspoons of chili powder
1-2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper

The amounts vary truly based on taste and the fact that I didn't actually measure anything so I don't really know. If I don't have to clean out my measure spoons I won't. So I just poured some olive oil and almond butter in a bowl added some seasonings and stirred together. Then I smelled it and if it smelled good then it was ready. Hahahaha. Hey, it works.


So after you make your seasoning concoction drizzle it over your kale. Now is where the trick comes in. If you don't do this well enough this is what will effect your kale from being crunchy or burnt. So take your time. You need to massage each leaf front and back with the sauce. The leaves need to be covered where there are no dry spots but not pooling in sauce at all. But seriously it only takes like 3 minutes.
 

Then bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes. You should be able to take your pan and shake the kale around loosely. Toss in a bowl and devour. They are crunchy and thin and so very good.


No comments:

Post a Comment