Tuesday, November 12, 2013

282 Shapes


If you follow me on Instagram/Facebook then you might've seen a little peak at what I was working on this long weekend. We recently painted our master bathroom a gorgeous mustard color - Valspar Fields of Gold. So with the color addition I thought I'd add some artwork over the throne. 

I wan inspired by this project done by YHL and they were inspired by this print. I picked up a canvas from Micahel's with a coupon for $3.50 and used only paint I already had on hand - leftover primer white for a dilute, a sample of Valspar Iron Frost (a contender for our bedroom), and a tube of acrylic paint in Raw Umber. 

I followed basically the same steps that YHL did and ran a ruler....ok, truth, I actually used the flat end of a stir stick...I realized this weekend we do not own an actual ruler...anyways, I made even-ish lines across vertically. Then I just used whatever hard-ish paper I had near to make my shapes. I did add in a bunch extra (282 to be exact) just to kind of mix it up a bit. 

Then with a squirt of each color of paint on my paper plate I just dived in. 



Here it is after day one where I think I spent about four-ish hours on it in one sitting. That darkest, almost black color, is the Raw Umber with no dilute. That darkest gray (in the upper right hand side) is the Iron Frost with no dilute. Everything else in between is a mix of all of the colors or one or the other with the primer. The second day I think I spent maybe 3 total hours on it mixed in with other tasks.


And here it is all done and hung up! There's a little overlap in the two photos but if you visually squish them together this is the whole piece. By the way, cameras hate capturing any yellow-gold properly. The real tone is much more wheat-y and not yellow by any means. 

 

Since we're hanging out in our bathroom I guess I'll show you around some other spots.




I love it. I love our bathroom color and the painting. The carpal tunnel was worth it :) I think we just need to hang some towel hooks and figure out how we're going to change our janky light fixture then this room will be...wait for it..FINISHED. 


No comments:

Post a Comment