Thursday, January 23, 2014

Rabbit Food

Day #1 of juicing is complete. It was delicious. Not like, "oh, gimmie that pint of cookie dough ice cream" delicious, but definitely not plug-your-nose gross. I'm following the recipes from juicerecipes.com under their 30-Day Challenge. It's free to sign up and once you do they give you a week of groceries to pick up at a time along with a new recipe each day. They also do great job at easing you into drinking fruits and vegetables - they don't start you off with beet root for example. 

The day one recipe was this: 

  • Apples - 2 medium (3" dia) 364g
  • Carrots - 3 medium 183g
  • Celery - 4 stalk, large (11"-12" long) 256g

The recipe is meant for a 32oz juice and either meant to be used as your meal replacement or shared with someone. Since I didn't do either I just cut the recipe in half. The site is also flexible in taste - so if you need it to be sweeter to mask the taste of a certain produce you don't really enjoy then just add more of what you do like. So after sniffing my juice I decided to toss in another apple to sweeten it up a bit. 


I'm using the Breville Compact Juicer and it is amazing. I searched juicers based on their easiness to clean. I know this may be silly but for a newbie juicer I wanted to make sure this wasn't a hassle for me or I knew I wouldn't stick to it. I learned a lot about juicers in the process - various speeds, "purist juicing", and pulp collection. Mainly I wanted a small size (as small as you can get for a juicer anyways) and easy to clean. This machine is both and I'm glad I went with it. Also got a steal of a deal on it by purchasing online through Macy's with their crazy good coupons and sales. 

Here is the juice collector and the leftover pulp. I have a thing about not wanting my appliances to stain to I emptied and disassembled the juicer as quickly as possible to avoid pesky carrot stains. I poured my juice in my to-go cup with a straw and emptied the pulp in my under-the-sink compost bin that I empty out into the garden compost bin. 

The pulp was almost all the way dry meaning I got almost all the juice out of the produce and had very little produce chunks left in the pulp meaning they all pretty much went right into the cup. 


The rest of the week recipes are pretty much the same except I'll add in some oranges, lemons and ginger later in the week. Next week I add in some cabbage....hmmmmmm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment