Sunday, November 4, 2012

Thanks, Craig[list]

We craigslisted. And we weren't kidnapped won. Our bedroom is the last possible space I would normally be working on since it still has carpet in it. We are hoping to add hardwoods that match the rest of the house since it's the only space with carpet and sicks me out. Carpet also makes everything look closed in and small and dingy so it's really difficult to for me to spend time making this space pretty because everything will make me groan until I have crisp hardwoods under my toes. HOWEVER, things happen. Craigslist happens. Pier1 headboards at 87% off happen. And then of course Instagram happens. 


First it started here, with this posting under Tulsa listings on Craigslist. I had been milling around headboard ideas for our king size bed for future future times. I had looked at fabric (too heavy for the space), wood (too expensive), wicker (too themey) and then I turned my eyeballs to Craig. And he gave me this. A king size, metal, Pier 1 headboard for....wait for it....FORTY DOLLARS. I immediately sent this picture to my bestie who has lived worked at Pier1 forever and she said yes, this piece retailed three(ish) years ago for around $300 smacks.


After some emailing, large vehicle arranging, and fear for my safety thoughts happened that hunk a chunk of metal was soon all mine. The sale actually went really well, the woman I bought from was just as concerned for her safety as I was mine and we both sighed some relief when neither one of us turned out to be axe murderers. Oh and her and her husband were selling this piece because they kept popping out babies and babies don't sleep well in king sized beds not because it's haunted or something. 


Here's a close up of the lovely gunmetal shade. Initially I had thoughts of white spray painting this beast but we wanted to check it out in the space first and both B and I love it this way. And hey, no extra work means even more inexpensive steal of a deal.


We like how the lines in the metal headboard play nice with the geometric shapes in our Target lamp shades that we got as a wedding gift. This shows you my side of the room where the only two windows live as well as my console for a nightstand from Target.


This is B's side. We were saving up for a minute to get him a matching console, but then we just kept using this dresser as his nightstand and it works well. We have limited closet space so any extra drawers help out a ton. I think (once we get new floors) I'll give the dresser a new look, but that will be later. Now of course we need some artwork and junk, but you know. Time. Money.


This awesome mirror is on my side right when you walk in to the right and was my birthday gift this year. As you can tell from the reflection we have some issues with the undercarriage of our beastly bed. We have this thing on risers to we can store things underneath but that also means we need an extra long bedskirt and those babies ain't cheap. And from the looks of this our comforter may or may not be on backwards. Whatevs.


While we're showcasing part of the room I might as well own up to all of it. This little Hot Mess Cove needs work. It's this odd little vanity area but has horrible lighting so I don't use this area to get ready in. Currently it holds a bunch of my everyday jewelry and B's old college nightstand underneath. I dream of a built in dresser here that goes all the way up to the ceiling in storage. One day. Maybe.


And this is what you see if you are on the bed. We are testing the idea of having a chair in the room, but usually it's covered in clothes. The black dresser was once wood and belonged to my parents. I like it's shape and drawers but it needs a new life.


So there it is. The only development of the week. But hey I think saving 87% is pretty cool. Even if it was for something that wasn't necessarily on the top of our priority list.

No comments:

Post a Comment