Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Oh Two for You

We all know that having a good amount of oh two (o2) in the house is good for health and good breathing air so we've been meaning to add some plants to our indoor area for a while. My mom gave us a Christmas Cactus last year and I've yet to kill it (mega points for me because I just can't remember to water things to save their my life). Christmas Cactus only needs watering about once a week and it gives blooms in the late fall all the way though January. So I had my eye on getting a larger Christmas Cactus from Lowe's for a week or so. The other night we popped in to Lowe's and they were half off already marked down to clearance. So I picked up this guy for 5.99 along with a bigger pot because I didn't want to hang it. 


Since I'm keeping the plant inside and on the floor I wanted to provide some irrigation so my water wouldn't seep to the bottom so I tossed in a few large handfuls of small rocks.


Then I added some scoops of dirt making sure to sift through the clumps and set my plant inside in the center. I topped the whole thing off with a layer of sand. The pot is Allen Roth and is bamboo and in a really nice shade of mustard green(ish). We got a raised plastic tray to rest on the bottom and you can barely even see it.


Also on clearance was this neat little cactus grouping. Seeing a theme here? Cactus + easy maintenance = my jam. This grouping came in a nice white ceramic bowl and topped with rocks and was only 4.99.


I also finally got my hands on an orchid. These guys are also easy to please since they only need three ice cubes a week.


Aren't the colors on this guy just beautiful? I described him to my mom as a purple and white snow leopard. I think it suits him well.


No comments:

Post a Comment