Thursday, January 24, 2013

Meet Betty and Allen

Right when we moved in B's mom was about to garage sell two reddish wingback recliner chairs. Well I had high hopes of being able to reupholster them and love them so we had B's parents bring them down and they've lived with us since April. Well they were super comfy but a little too tall for our space but just for fun I took some pictures and got a quote for having them reupholstered. Hello, sticker shock, meet cheap-o. It was going to be somewhere between $500-$700 smacks. Each. I could buy new chairs for less than that! So we moved on from that idea and I started looking around at some chairs that I could convince B to like and then stalk them until they went on sale sale. And then something magical happened. 

My aunt stopped by and said hey, we have are trying to clear out our living room and I have these two chairs that we need to store for awhile, would I be interested? They didn't want to get a storage unit and her kids' homes are already full of furniture so she thought of us. I said what chairs? Those two tan leather chairs with the beautiful fabric back? Yes, those chairs. 


I don't think I could've said yes faster. They ended up being able to bring them by that weekend and boy did they fit right in. I know, I know, I am just babysitting, but it could be a while so don't think I didn't name them the second I plopped down. This is Betty. She makes a nice little reading chair next to our bookcase with our reading lamp and pouf. 


And this is Allen. He is turned towards the tv for extra seating. I also brought in a trunk we got from my other aunt as a side table. And yes, this is the trunk we were using as a coffee table talked about here. 


How about them succulents? We found this woman who grows and sells succulents for super cheap at the flea market here in town that's held every Saturday. Have I been there every Saturday for the past 4 weekends to pick up 'just one more'? Now, that would be silly. 


So we hope Betty and Allen get to stay for a while. I did warn my aunt that they may bolt themselves to the floor. Who knows. But either way it gives us a nice (free!) upgrade and we get to see if the style/color/placement is something we like so it will help us in our search for our forever chairs. While they were over my uncle talked about how when they were first married her and her sister (the aunt with the trunk) would basically trade their entire living rooms once a month. The guys would load everything up and swap furniture so they could get a fresh look for their spaces. I tried to trade our couch for one of my aunt's....it didn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment