Friday, February 1, 2013

Dang Weather

For a while I've been wanting to copy what I see in a lot of inspiration rooms that have painted backs in their bookcases. We have this kind of odd-spot bookcase between our fireplace area and nook but the back of it is bead board like the walls. Once you put accessories in the bookcase the vertical lines kind of make it all too busy. So not only did I want to have a colored backed bookcase, but a smooth one. So I came up with this brillant idea of getting foam boards cut to size per shelf and adhere scrapbook paper to them. 

So off to Hob Lob we went with our shelf measurements and they did some slicing for us. Foam board was 30% off and scrapbook paper was 50% off so for the materials we needed for our funky placed bookcase and the cut out above our bar came up to just about $15 smacks. 


Once we got home I had high hopes of just being able to pop them into place. Yeah, well shelves were bowed and some were thicker than others so each foam board needed a little bit tweaking here and there. So my wonderful hubby would slide in the board and pencil mark where he needed to trim off a little.


We he got them all trimmed and I got them taped together and slide them in to their own shelf.


Then I took each foam board individually and sprayed acid free adhesive on the board then very carefully placed a scrapbook paper on. I repeated this process until the board was covered. I had to trim a couple spots down and use acid free double stick squares in some places in addition to the adhesive but it all seemed to turn out ok. I used double stick thick foam squares in each corner and in the center to help the foam board stick to the back of the shelf.


Once all the accessories were put back in the area looked great. I love the pop of color against the white trim and grey walls and our mostly neutral accessories. It kind of helps make the bookcase stand out a little more as it's own area instead of a wall cut out. The chair and lamp placement help it become it's own little room in the house and I love it. 


But in the keeping-it-real- category this project may be a big fat fail. I don't know if it's the weather or me (let's just say the weather) but the entire thing is falling apart. The foam board won't stick to the wall, the scrapbook pages flap at the corners and one just fell completely off today. I love the color. I love the contrast. I love that the bead board is hidden. But this just isn't the answer. You win some, you lose some. I'll keep mulling over how to fix it, until then I will stare at half fallen scrapbook pages.

Oh and a picture frame just up and jumped off our entryway wall gallery today and broke. Dang weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment