Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Spring is here?

I'd like to say Spring Has Sprung, but seeing as we had a freeze just last week and it may or may not snow later this week, I think I won't jinx it. Even though the weather gods have been dealing out their cruel trickery this month that didn't stop me from beefing up our front porch with some potted flowers. 

Nana spotted these awesome containers that are nice and tall, but square (which apparently is a rare find in this part of the world) for a great price (like, 12 bucks - and if you're like my husband who doesn't know the price of things past a peanut butter mocha - pots this size and style would normally sit around 50-70 fat dollars.) 

Once the containers were home I filled the better part of the base with mulch (that we dug up from our beds before replacing with rubber mulch) so that it wouldn't weigh a million and a half pounds. Then I put in a saucer similar to this one but it's actually made out of a much thicker black plastic with watering holes. I swear that they have it - it took us a trip to Home Depot then 2 different Lowe's to find it (it ended up being at the one by Woodland if anyone here cares). But the point of having that saucer is to help water irrigation by letting the water drip down through the holes and into the mulch (which is another aid) so it doesn't just sit all up on the surface making the plants float. 

Finally, it was time to fill! We stopped by a cute little flowering tent in Owasso and picked up a bunch of the stuff then I found some pops of color at the Herb Festival. 


We have a good mix of tall height (with the fan looking thing), some medium height, some pops of color, and some trailing things.



I also added in some Rosemary to one of the pots and will probably add some other herbs down the line just so I can have a year round filler.


Then I filled a small terra cotta pot we had with a couple of trailers and a fern thing.


This is one of my purchases from the Herb Fest! It is awesome. This woman makes all of the containers out of reclaimed wood and they are all different shapes and shades. Then she adds moss and succulents along the grid....then after the roots take hold you can hang it on the wall! 


It'll go on the front porch since I think I've reached my limit on succulents on the inside...



And these succulents are all ones I've had I just finally have been able to bring them outside.


Hello, sunshine!


And this is Gary.


No comments:

Post a Comment