Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Lovely Shade of Blue-Sea-Green-Aqua-Teal

We may or may not have woken up one sunday and (while still in bed) decide to paint the laundry room. Off to Lowe's we went with my small ceramic bowl I picked up a couple weeks before so we could get a color match. A can of paint and some painter's tape later we were ready to roll. 


This was the first time B has helped with the actual painting process and let me tell you that boy is not getting out of it again. Since we have slightly textured walls it takes all of my non-existant upper body strength to get the paint from the roller and into those tiny grooves, but B did this part like a champ. So we had this good rhythm of me doing all the taping and cutting in while B rolled the walls so we were able to finish the entire room fairly quickly.

The white shelves you see on the wall below were ones we put up with the help of B's dad a while ago. I didn't want to take them down and worry about putting them back up in the same spot (since the hole might be weakened) so I painstakingly painted around them trying not to cover them in the bluegreen paint.

Sidenote: this is the second time we've taken in an item to get color matched so these paints don't have names...should I be naming them?


And here the shelves are all loaded up with laundry room essentials. That small bowl there was the color inspiration. I can't remember exactly where I got it...but I know it was only 2.99.


Our laundry room is nice and roomy but it only has one cabinet and a wall cut out for storage so we definitely needed some on the wall organization. So we found the white shelves from Target (they're just Closet Maid wire shelves) and the baskets from Garden Ridge. The two large ones up top just hold sheet sets right now (actually just the sheets for our blow up mattress) but I figure they will get full of something at some point. The brown baskets on the second shelf hold lightbulbs and batteries, cleaning supplies, and dirty rags.


I labeled each basket (mostly for B's sake) to remind us where to put what things.


We put up this hanging broom contraption a while back and recently added the iron and ironing board holder. That green towel is for muddy doggy feet when they come in from the backyard. All of this stuff is hung up behind the door so you don't ever really see it which is nice.


I also did a little in-shelf organization with the help of two cheap-o baskets. We have doggy accessories (food, collars, sweaters, etc) and a bin for household cleaning supplies (microfiber dusting clothes, magic erasers, etc).

Oh, and we (well, B) painted the ceiling to match! I read it helps make small spaces feel bigger and lighter and although we don't really need our laundry room to feel bigger it does give it a nice seamless look.

Oh, and we (actually, just me) painted the hallway to match! The door on the left goes into the laundry and the sliver of the open doorway you see goes into our master. Directly across from the laundry room door is the door to the backyard and where I'm standing here is in the nook off the kitchen.


So we love it and we are both surprised we went with such a...color, you know? I like that we painted the hallway since it gives it a nice pop of surprise and isn't really that big so it doesn't overwhelm everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment