Thursday, October 4, 2012

Office Space

Living in this house is the first time we've had a space over 700 square feet and with this extra space comes designated rooms that we'd like to use to their full potential. Since right when we moved in we were in the middle of planning our wedding the office space became a place for odds and ends that started collecting and piling up. 

Our goal was to create two separate office spaces with two desks and tons of organization - in one room. One place to pay bills and organize importnat life things and another space to create things and keep all my craft stuff in order. We lucked out and scored a basic white desk from my aunt that I would use for my craft corner and then my family found an old roll top desk for us at an estate sale. It's solid wood, and heavy and long and has lots of storage space - perfect for B.

First we made a pit stop to Staples to check out the Martha Stewart office organization stuff. Let me tell you, I could buy up every label tag, drawer, box contraption that had her name on it - her stuff is to cool for school. So we picked up basically what you see in the pic below; one pull out drawer, one filing shelf and some small compartment pieces with lids.


We also got some of these neat folders that hang on the wall to help me keep coupons and sort through things I need to deal with. Now her stuff isn't exactly cheap, but it's pretty sturdy and we won't be moving these things around much so we are hoping they will last awhile. 


In a trip to Ikea in Dallas over the summer I also picked up some basic craft photo boxes and a white board shelf with two brackets. I wanted the shelf above the desk to be able to hold some photo boxes and maybe a picture or two in order to keep the top of my space clear. See how messy it already is? 


It got better! I moved some things around, hung the shelf (well, B did) and added some lighting. 


See underneath there? I put a small trash can, my craft paper storage cube with the Martha filing system on top of it. 


These were also from Staples, but not Martha, they were $4.99 for the set of 4 and they just had sticky backs that I peeled off and placed on the wall. It says they are removable to we will see! I'm planning on pinning coupons (so I don't forget to use them!) and color samples and ideas as I find them for inspiration. 


This is what I put in the corner; it's a stack of old books I bought for less then $1 at River City Trading Post in Jenks, OK with a framed copy of our wedding favor sitting on top. The favor says "Plant these hearts and flowers with grow" - attached are two biodegradable hearts filled with wildflower seeds. Next to the books is a cute .99 cent holder for my thumbtacks. 


Here is the Ikea shelf and brackets I picked up this summer all for under $10. The photo box is also from Ikea, it came in a two pack for $2.99 and the filer folder is Martha. 


Yes, this is the tip of a giant pencil. For some reason I am obsessed with everyday objects that are either obscenely big or super tiny. I picked that one up at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $2.99...apparently not many people share this same love for oddly scaled objects. The black "E" is something I've had around for a while and is also from Hob Lob - maybe $2.99? The framed art is actually a card we got for our wedding from some family friends of B's - it's handmade!


This is the metal cart that sits to the left of the desk and it holds the printer and some more photo boxes and a craft cube thing. 


 We scored this metal cart for free from one of my aunts, sweet, huh! It also does a nice job of keeping our router and icky cord mess hidden, I just shoved the power strip underneath the cart and no more cords! 


So that's my half of the office - B's side is still in progress - maybe some hardware changes and placement of all the 'junk' that accumulates. Oh, and ha, I still need a chair. Currently we are sharing one. It doesn't work out well, as you can imagine. 




1 comment:

  1. Need you to give my office a makeover!(sans martha)

    ReplyDelete