Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Countertop Remix: The Finale

Side notes: kitchens are hard to photograph and it took me forever to come up with a title for this post because this is not the kitchen finale, just the countertop finale. We still have big, big plans guys. You can catch up on our Countertop Remixes here and here. Basically we found some old doors at a Habitat for Humanity and made them into counters. 

Any-who, this is what our kitchen looks like today. This is the view from the nook/mudroom/bar area. We have a nice seven-ish foot peninsula where we have breakfast and usually eat dinner when it's just the hubby and I. 


We got these awesome barstools from Overstock.com from B's parents for our wedding shower. They are awesome. I like how they bring a tiny industrial look to our walnut and white kitchen. 


This is the far end of the peninsula where Sir Mix-a-lot my kitchen aid mixer lives as well as Ed's treats, a bowl for fruit and a clearance vase from Target that I stuffed with succulents we had left over from the wedding.


Here's a sexy shot of the edge of the counters. Even though the doors were 'solid' oak this only meant about 1/8 of an inch in, after that you will find particle board. So we picked up some stainable veneer iron on edging and doesn't that stuff look freaking fabulous?


This shows the joined efforts of B and my dad trying to work around that pesky column you see on the left corner. You see, this kitchen used to closed in where the peninsula now is, so this column is weight bearing like major. The old counters went around the column but a lot further then we wanted our wooden doors to stick out so we were left with this weird gap in between the column and what we wanted as our edge so the veneer edging wasn't an option because it bent in to where the gap was and looked icky (sorry for that major run-on sentence). So the guys finally thought, hey let's just cut off an edge of a door and nail it in all rustic-like and this was the result. Rusticly beautiful. 


So moving over to the sink side we have our espresso/coffee station that sits on this amazing cutting board that we got as a wedding gift from my aunt in Colorado. We love it so much we want it out so we can see it but not where we can use it so it won't get scratched. We're silly. 


Coming around then is the view above the sink where we have some Ikea cacti hanging out as well as some napkins resting in a cute ceramic holder I found while thrifting in Kansas City. 


Here's a close up of our awesome knife set we got as wedding gift, they are Martha Stewart from Macy's. Next to that we have some too cute measuring cups from Pier1 that we got from one of my besties.


Too cool for school, amiright?


Then we made our cabinets nakey! B has this bad habit of leaving cabinet doors open because he "doesn't like the sound when they close" so I get to walk into the kitchen with our doors wide open. So I said, ok fine the doors are coming off. But for reals, we love it. It makes loading the dishwasher a breeze and I get to check out a good chunk of our wedding presents while eating breakfast. I do have to dust my bowls now...only downfall. 


I get to look at my wavy Pier1 serving bowl and are neato square plates from Macy's. Oh and we went with all white dishes because they are classic and super versatile. Want some color? Just add a teal bread bowl. 


Like this one from Macy's!


And yes I put artwork in my cabinets to spice them up. This sweet little frame was a gift from my aunt and goes well with the bicycle theme we had at our wedding. Also that cute little toothpick holder is from the Dolla Store, holla.


And yes those are strangers in the frame. Surprised? And this cute cake stand was a wedding gift from Macy's. Well, the cake stand is from there, we were not given a wedding gift from Macy's. And of course I topped it with left over succulents from the wedding. And by left over I mean I yanked them from wedding arrangements that we have sitting in the guest room.


And how cute is this little guy? I got this from Nana for my birthday and it is originally from Macy's. It's a nice shade of grey and pops a little against the white dishes.


So that's where we are with the kitchen. Obvi much more needs to be done but we will get there. Slow and steady wins the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment